Tuesday, November 6, 2007

NC vs. Ga.

So, I started studying for the bar exam last night!! I started with a topic that I like but have not done well on at the actual bar exam -- Family Law. It's amazing that the handouts for Ga. are only 13 pages. This is much less than the 30-40 page lecture handouts NC gives you. Ga. also has far less topics to familiarize yourself with than NC.

Since it was a slow day, as usual, at work, I tried to study another short topic. I started with PR and then went to Agency. I finally had to close the book b/c I'm noticing that there are some very distinct differences in NC law and Ga. law on these topics. This brings me to my next moment of anxiety. I'm so scared I'm going to start a Ga. essay by saying, "In North Carolina..." I am also fearful of applying NC law to a Ga. question. I just need to re-program my brain and I should be fine -- right?

1 comment:

icadle said...

Responding to your comment on my blog regarding topics on the bar exam. I don't think there is any way to predict what they will ask. There were two contracts questions, a remedies question, and a question about civil procedure/default judgments on our exam. It caught everyone buy surprise. I think the best advice I've heard is to get an essay coach by calling around and finding someone who has passed multiple exams to teach you how to write an essay. The GA essays are really worth a lot of points if you can write one well. I don't write well but I worked hard on MBE topics. However, the essays are critical because I made a 282 with a 150 on the MBE and a friend who made a 139 on the MBE made a 299 because his essays were so strong. The whole process is a bit of a crap shoot but I its doable if you finaly do enough practice work to somehow subconsiously figure out the tricks they play.

Hope that helps. And best of luck to you in February! Feel free to ask any more questions you may have.