Monday, March 24, 2008

Epiphany

So, here I am. It's 9:25 p.m. and I've started studying again. After taking Georgia in February, I'm gearing up for NC (round 4) again. This time, I have a study partner. This, I think, will help based solely upon the theories of accountability and guilt. When I go at it alone and don't feel like studying, I don't. Now, however, if I pull a no-show, I look like a slacker. It'll be interesting to see how this goes. My study partner graduated 3 years ago and has been on a hiatus from the law for that entire time. At least we have a 2 month head start on the BarBri classes. Our goal is to get through every subject once before BarBri begins on May 19. We probably won't, but we're starting with the hardest subjects first, so at least we'll have reviewed/looked at those subjects once before heading to class. I'm going to go to the night class this time. I feel that I still need to work. I got my first unemployment check this week and while it's nice, I'd like to be working. On the other hand, my lease on my car expires in May and I just rented out my condo this week so that frees up a whole lot of money. If I live at home with mom and dad and drive my old car, the only thing I will have to pay is insurance on that car and my student loan each month. That's very doable with my weekly unemployment check. So, I think I just changed my mind. I'll live off of the system, drive my old car, and live with my parents until the bar exam is over! Damn, I better pass.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please read the comment I left for you under March 10th (Um...I'm Screwed)

Anonymous said...

Hey Marilyn :) I just recently came across your blog - Just found out today that I have to repeat the NC bar-ugh. I don't even think I have fully wrapped my head around it yet. But I have to move forward I guess and I need a study partner too! Where do you study at? Not trying to crash your group or anything - but looking for someone else to study with on occasion and live in the NC area - where are you? My email is ncbargirl08@gmail.com. I read your entire blog the other day just bawling through parts of it because I feel so many of these same emotions. I'd love to just have someone to ask advice -good luck to you in July - hope to hear from you!

X said...

Hi Marilyn,

I feel the best thing you can do is relax. I graduated last year and I have passed two bars (NC and MD). You cannot learn everything, which is hard to accept when you don't ace practice exams.

I think the main thing is knowing the basics and being able to analyze the facts even if you don't necessarily know whether to apply a particular rule for the inevitable oddball essay.

Even the model answers are wrong sometimes. I read a few model answers that had incorrect analyzes but I guess the writer got points for applying the facts in a logical, concise manner.

You'll be fine. Just prepare and keep your head up. When you are well prepared the exam is more psychological than anything else. The biggest challenge in prep is time management. I still shake my head at the crazy guy that took the MD bar without studying. He studied for PA, bragged about not studying, and he was really quiet that second day.